Every month we're graced with the awe inspiring Full Moon as she reaches the climax of her lunar cycle. And tonight’s Full Moon at 9:33pm pacific time, is particularly special for three reasons:
- As a Harvest Full Moon she heralds the transition from Summer to Fall, lighting the way for the Autumn Equinox and the balance of light and dark.
- She illuminates the soulful zodiac sign of Pisces giving power to our dreams and emotions, calling us to dissolve our boundaries and open our hearts to life’s majesty.
- Here on the west coast the Full Moon takes place on Friday 13th for the first time since 2000 and the last until 2049. Time to get connected with our inner witches and use these hours for divination and magical activity.
Full Moons are always a time of heightened emotion and sensitivity, and in the water sign of Pisces, this is infused with compassion, empathy, mystery and a yearning from our spiritual depths. There is a strongly romantic and idealistic feel to Pisces, dreamy and mysterious, always looking to create a little magic to escape life’s limitations.
In Greek mythology, the two fish of Pisces relate to Aphrodite and her son Eros who tied themselves together, transformed themselves into fish and leaped into the river to escape the clutches of the deadly monster, Typhon. Symbolizing the capacity of Pisces to surrender, to leap into the unknown and immerse with something bigger than themselves, having faith in the Universe.
Tonight’s Full Moon is also conjunct (at one with) its ruling planet Neptune, god of the sea and lord of enchantment and transcendence. This Moon is asking us to escape our Virgo season to-do lists, thinking and planning, and to just be, to surrender to the sacredness of this moment. There is a sensitive yet potent quality to this time, perfect for cleansing, release and ritual. Be tender to yourself, honour this Moon and nurture your soul through soothing activities such as self-care, walking in nature and artistic expression.
With this being the annual September Harvest Full Moon, she brings an abundance of moonlight early in the evening, and earned the name through bringing precious light to farmers harvesting their crops. Heralding the upcoming Autumn Equinox on September 23rd when day and night will be of equal length, it’s a perfect opportunity to restore a little balance and harmony in your life.
Suggestions to make the most of this energy:
- Get outside and Moon gaze or meditate under the Moonbeams, feel the emotions that arise and the connection that takes place, express your gratitude for the Moon’s constant presence in your life.
- Visualize what you’d like to release from your life in order to move forwards and get creative. Our souls speak in symbols – get sketching, painting or collaging to connect with your deep self – don’t add pressure for it to look a certain way, let it flow naturally, authenticity is key.
- Work on forgiveness. Light a candle and recite this affirmation adapted from Yasmin Boland: "Under the glorious Full Moon, I forgive every memory of the past or present that needs forgiveness. I forgive everyone including myself for past mistakes. The Universe is love, and I am forgiven and governed by love alone. Love is now adjusting my life. Realizing this, I abide in peace."
- Indulge in the bathtub with soothing music, blue, green, indigo or silver candles, lavender, sage or jasmine essential oils and crystals such as amethyst, jade or turquoise.
- Create an altar in a safe space. Meditate and feel your intentions. Adorn the altar with Pisces symbols and 'correspondences', objects that have a natural affinity with the sign:
Colours: Blue, green, indigo, silver
Herbs/garden: Sage, aloe, water lily, clove, nutmeg, lily, gardenia, lavender
Stones: Amethyst, aquamarine, jade, turquoise, blue lace agate
Feeling adventurous? Make the most of the Friday 13th energy – don’t be afraid and embrace it. With our heightened sensitivities tonight, it’s an opportune time to bring some magic into our lives. Try this Planetary Power Spell by Judika Illes:
- Fill a glass bowl with spring water and place it outside under the Full Moon overnight
- In the morning, bring the water inside, siphon it into a bottle if desired and refrigerate.
- Apply a little water to the back of your neck and over the Third Eye area for nine consecutive days to enhance your psychic ability.
This energy will be available to tap into for the next several days so don’t feel you’ve missed the opportunity if you can’t fit this in tonight.
Interested in learning more about working with the Moon's phases? Check out our upcoming 4 week course in Vancouver, Lunar Magic.